Being a food writer is a scary thing–exhilarating, fun, and delicious, to be sure, but also anxiety-inducing. Especially when it involves sharing a recipe. Once that recipe is published, there’s no going back. I experienced a bit of those nerves a few months ago when submitting my recipe for Fennel-Scented Salmon atop a Lentil and Spinach Salad to Pregnancy & Newborn Magazine. It was a sidebar for my article called “Craving conspiracy: Ten ways to work with your cravings—instead of against them—to give your baby the best start,” and it was my first recipe to be published in a national magazine. However, part of the job of being a food writer is testing recipes, so my family ate well as I tweaked the proportions until the flavors were just right. After months of waiting, the article and recipe are now in print in this month’s issue, and my husband and I got the pleasure of cooking from my own recipe, right there on the glossy pages, a few days ago. I’m so familiar with it by now that I can make it without following the recipe to a T, but that was my moment of truth. Guess what? It’s delicious. Phew.
Writer’s Kitchen: The Food Writer’s Moment of Truth
By Daytona on September 11, 2012
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
- Writer’s Kitchen: Homemade Marshmallows October 21, 2010
- How to Give Your Character an Achilles’ Heel April 18, 2013
- How to Schedule Writing Appointments… and Keep Them! February 27, 2011
- 4 ways to keep your 2011 writing goals January 3, 2011
- Reaching Out for Inspiration May 9, 2013
- A Productive April May 2, 2013
- Destination Inspiration: Phinney Market Pub & Eatery April 30, 2013
- Daily Writer’s Fix: April 29-May 3 April 29, 2013
- Lesley McDaniel: It's really fun to see how knowing this about you...
- Lesley McDaniel: Thanks, Laurel! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's go...
- allison: Great post Lesley. You have forced me to evaluate...
- Laurel: Good advice for writers, and good information for ...
baking balance beer beer tasting blogging book book & wine pairing chai cheese Christmas Destinations edible Christmas gifts Featured food food blog food writing Friday Forum giveaway Grab Bag homemade Idea Generator inspiration journalism Monthly review Nooks pasta recipe Recipes Sight Smell Sound Taste tea Tips Touch travel wine Wine & Book Pairings Writing writing exercises Writing Goals writing ideas writing life writing prompts writing tips
About Nooks & Cranberries
Photos on flickr
Find Us on Facebook
Follow @nooksandcran on Twitter