Summer is still several months away, but can you almost taste it already? Capture the essence of the season by describing the taste of summer in your memory. Republished and modified from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
Tag Archives | Taste
It’s all about the weather. You hear it from the meteorologist on the TV, make small talk about it, complain when it gets too hot or too cold. Weather can set the tone for your scene, too. But can you write about the weather without actually saying “It’s cold”? For today’s Daily Writers’ Fix, think [...]
Photo Week Day 5
What’s on your character’s breakfast table this morning–steaming hot coffee, orange juice and a muffin, or scrambled eggs with bacon and a Bloody Mary? The way we start our day can say a lot about us and how we view the world. Get to know your character today by getting into his thoughts while he [...]
You’re eating at a restaurant on Santorini–or any other Greek island–and admiring a remarkable view. Describe what you’re eating and drinking, the climate, your surroundings, who you’re with, and what’s going through your mind.
Candy! You’ve been working hard working on your writing skills and projects, so today we want you to have fun. Using candy as a starting place, spend 10 minutes just having fun with words. Don’t take yourself too seriously–allow yourself to write nonsense, if you wish. Who knows, this exercise might get the words flowing [...]
Your character is at a Parisian bar. Alone. Is he waiting for someone? Has the rest of the party left? What’s going through his mind as he sips his beverage of choice? (And as we discussed yesterday, make the details count, whether he orders a whiskey on the rocks, a dirty martini, or a simple [...]
What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever eaten? Describe the taste and the whole experience in such a way that readers will feel like they’re eating it at that moment, too.
The flavors of fall Using this photo, phrase, and sense to get you started, spend 10 minutes freewriting today, then review what you’ve written and see if it sparks any ideas.
- Writer’s Kitchen: Homemade Marshmallows October 21, 2010
- How to Schedule Writing Appointments… and Keep Them! February 27, 2011
- How to Give Your Character an Achilles’ Heel April 18, 2013
- 4 ways to keep your 2011 writing goals January 3, 2011
- From the Pros: Tips for Productivity May 23, 2013
- Reaching Out for Inspiration May 9, 2013
- A Productive April May 2, 2013
- Destination Inspiration: Phinney Market Pub & Eatery April 30, 2013
- Lesley McDaniel: It's really fun to see how knowing this about you...
- Lesley McDaniel: Thanks, Laurel! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's go...
- allison: Great post Lesley. You have forced me to evaluate...
- Laurel: Good advice for writers, and good information for ...
About Nooks & Cranberries
Photos on flickr
Find Us on Facebook
Follow @nooksandcran on Twitter