Summer is still several months away, but can you almost taste it already? Capture the essence of the season by describing the taste of summer in your memory. Republished and modified from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
Archive | March, 2011
The cold paint cans in her hand, the texture of the wall or appliance serving as a blank canvas–your character is doing some home improvement. What emotions does she feel as she holds a can in her hand for the first stroke? Is she covering up past memories, good or bad? Is she starting a [...]
Describe the sounds surrounding this tree. Republished from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
Catch of the day Spend 15 minutes freewriting, using the sense of smell, photo, and phrase to get you started. Republished from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
Who’s watching you from the outside? Republished from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
What is your protagonist trying to escape from? Republished from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
Create a short story or poem using all of the following words. And don’t forget to share what you come up with by leaving us a comment! Stowaway Top ten Luminescence Vital signs Too late Ephemeral Fleeting Daughter Grandma Roses Saffron Broken mirrors Smoke and mirrors Republished from Nooks & Cranberries, September 2010.
It’s all about the weather. You hear it from the meteorologist on the TV, make small talk about it, complain when it gets too hot or too cold. Weather can set the tone for your scene, too. But can you write about the weather without actually saying “It’s cold”? For today’s Daily Writers’ Fix, think [...]
Tree climbing, fantasy tree houses, enchanted forests–everyone has a tree story. What’s yours? Return to your childhood and describe the feeling of bark on your hands as you climbed a tree. Or make a wildly enchanted forest seem believable by describing the feel of things your readers can relate to such as branches scraping one’s [...]
- Writer’s Kitchen: Homemade Marshmallows October 21, 2010
- How to Schedule Writing Appointments… and Keep Them! February 27, 2011
- How to Give Your Character an Achilles’ Heel April 18, 2013
- 4 ways to keep your 2011 writing goals January 3, 2011
- From the Pros: Tips for Productivity May 23, 2013
- Reaching Out for Inspiration May 9, 2013
- A Productive April May 2, 2013
- Destination Inspiration: Phinney Market Pub & Eatery April 30, 2013
- Lesley McDaniel: It's really fun to see how knowing this about you...
- Lesley McDaniel: Thanks, Laurel! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's go...
- allison: Great post Lesley. You have forced me to evaluate...
- Laurel: Good advice for writers, and good information for ...
About Nooks & Cranberries
Photos on flickr
Find Us on Facebook
Follow @nooksandcran on Twitter